Below are some of the most common questions we get – if you have specific questions, please call or text us at 701-226-6096 or send us an email on our contact page.


What is the difference between a silencer and a suppressor?

Suppressor and Silencer both mean the same thing. Both terms are used in the industry, but you will see the term “suppressor” used throughout our website. We don’t have a problem with the word “silencer”, it’s just that you can’t truly make a firearm silent.


What are the benefits of owning a suppressor?

Suppressors significantly reduce the sound levels of a suppressed firearm. To put this in perspective, most shooting earmuffs reduce decibels by about 20-26dB. In many cases, a suppressor can make a firearm even quieter - For example, our Thunder Beast Ultra 9 can reduce the dB of a .308 Win by close to 30dB and the Dead Air Sandman-L will reduce standard 7.62 ammo by 31dB!

In addition to sound reduction, a suppressor will reduce recoil, reduce muzzle blast, eliminate muzzle flash, and increase your accuracy. Put all of these together and it makes the shooting experience a hell of a lot more fun!


Are suppressors legal?

Yes, but you need to live in a state that allows private ownership. Those states are:



Who can own a suppressor?

Suppressors are regulated under the National Firearms Act (NFA) of 1934, which falls under the purview of the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF). To legally purchase or possess a suppressor you must:

  1. Be at least 21 years of age to purchase a suppressor from a dealer.
  2. Be at least 18 years of age to purchase a suppressor from an individual on a Form 4 to Form 4 transfer (contingent on state laws).
  3. Be at least 18 years of age to possess a suppressor as a beneficiary of a trust or as a member of a corporation (contingent on state laws).
  4. Be a resident of the United States.
  5. Be legally eligible to purchase a firearm.
  6. Pass a BATFE background check with a typical process time of 8 to 10 months.
  7. Pay a one-time $200 Transfer Tax.
  8. Reside in one of the 42 states that currently allows civilian ownership of suppressors.

The above information comes directly from the American Suppressor Association (ASA) and can be found here:


Can I legally hunt with my suppressor?

Yes you can! Almost all states that allow private ownership also allow hunting. ND is one of those states. If you aren’t sure if your state allows hunting with suppressors, ASA can show you here:


Why should I buy a suppressor from TAG Firearms?

TAG Firearms is dedicated to Class 3/NFA items. Our primary goal is to educate the consumer and do everything we can to make suppressor ownership a reality. Unfortunately, many people are still not aware that suppressor ownership and suppressed hunting is legal. We are here to change that! We will assist you in the purchase of your NFA item and complete all the paperwork for you. 

We also pride ourselves on being a locally owned company out of Bismarck, ND, and when you call, text, or email, you get a response back from a real person. 


Is it difficult to buy a suppressor, SBR, or other NFA weapon?

The process may seem intimidating, but that’s why TAG Firearms is here to help. We will handle your Form 4 paperwork from start to finish so that nothing gets missed in the process. Let us do the work for you!


There are so many suppressor options – how do I choose?

We are here to help. Contact us and we will assist you in getting the best suppressor for your current and future needs. Keep in mind that we stock some of the best suppressors in the business. Each brand of suppressor comes with their own unique features that set them apart from each other. We want to be able to offer a variety of products so that at the end of the day, the suppressor you choose is the one that is right for you. 

Remember, we could carry any brand we want, but decided to stick to manufacturers that have a proven track record of quality, reliability, and repeatability. We back these products 100%, and use these same brands for our personal needs. 


Can you please explain NFA?

NFA stands for National Firearms Act. NFA items include suppressors, short barreled rifles (SBR), short barreled shotguns (SBS), machine guns (MG), destructive devices (DD), and any other weapons (AOW). The National Firearms Act requires that all of these weapons be registered and taxed. Weapons regulated under NFA are also referred to as Class 3 or Title II weapons.


Can you explain the tax I have to pay on the suppressor, SBR, or other NFA/Class 3 Item?

In short, the “tax stamp” is a tax paid to the ATF and is required in order to process your application to own a NFA item. You need to pay for a “tax stamp” for each NFA item you purchase. For example, if you buy two suppressors, you must also pay for two tax stamps.


Can I purchase other NFA items through TAG Firearms?

Yes you can. In addition to suppressors, we can assist you with transfers of any NFA weapon. This includes short barreled rifles (SBR), short barreled shotguns (SBS), machine guns, destructive devices (DD), and any other weapons (AOW). We recommend that you check out our in-stock SBR’s if you are looking for a quality firearm!


I would really like to demo a product before I buy it – is that possible?

Absolutely. Give us a call to learn more. Even if you don’t live in the Bismarck/Mandan area, we travel throughout the state so it’s always worth a call to find out if we will be near you! This is not something that all businesses do, and we pride ourselves on being able to offer this to our customers. We also have scheduled demo days for people to come try our products, so keep an eye out on the website and social media. You can find us on both Facebook and Instagram (@tagfirearms).


Should I use a Gun Trust?

Gun Trusts are great tool for purchasing NFA items, but is only effective if you have a well prepared Trust document. Some Gun Trusts are essentially a Revocable Living Trust document that is being branded as a Gun Trust - you do not want one of those! That being said, we partnered with Gun Trust Guru out of TX, which we believe offers the best 50 State trust available. Couple important things that this Trust can offer:

  • Drafted by an experienced gun trust attorney
  • Designed to hold both NFA and non-NFA firearms
  • No Schedule A disclosing your inventory of firearms to third parties
  • Appoint as many additional co-trustees as you want at any time
  • Remove additional co-trustees at any time
  • Personalized, state-specific provisions for your state
  • Delivered to you by email instantly

There are two ways to obtain this trust. You can purchase one directly through our website or you can go directly to and get a trust set up - make sure to let them know TAG Firearms sent you on the reference section of the setup! And please contact us if you have questions - many people have questions about Gun Trusts, especially if they are new to the NFA world. We would be more than happy to get you set up. 


What if I don't live in Bismarck? How do I get my suppressor once my Form 4 is approved?

If you live in ND, you don't even have to visit our store! You can buy online, and we can handle all of the paperwork via mail or email. And once your Form 4 is approved we can mail the suppressor directly to you! We can still mail a suppressor to you once it's approved regardless if you bought it in the store, gun show, etc... If you have specific questions, feel free to contact us.


How does the payment plan work?

Payment plan is simple. 25% non-refundable deposit, with the rest due in 90 days. If you have specific questions regarding a product or you want to request special terms, please contact us. We also have more detail on the payment plan here.


What qualifies for a payment plan?

Almost everything on our site qualifies for payment plans. If you see an item you like and aren’t sure if it qualifies, please email us at


Where can I get a barrel threaded?

Regardless of which suppressor you buy, you are going to need a threaded barrel. If you aren’t sure where to get this done, we can help. Contact us and we can give you a reference. We can also line everything up for you if you would like. Since we get lots of barrels threaded, we can get a discount when we send multiple items. Our partners also know the exact thread specs needed, so it will be done right the first time!


How long will it take to get my silencer?

Current wait times can be found here:

Wait times will be significantly reduced when ordering through TAG Firearms as we stock all of our suppressors, which means your Form 4 paperwork starts as soon as you buy. If it's shown on the site, we have it in stock!

When dealers don’t have a NFA item in stock, they are required to do a dealer transfer, which can take anywhere 2-4 weeks, as the dealer needs to get Form 3's approved plus needs to wait for the item to arrive at their store. That means an extra wait for your suppressor. That won’t happen here as what you need will be in stock!